Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dream On



Mags is doing pretty good considering. Her appetite is great, she is able to walk a little bit, she is using the litter box pretty good, there is just one problem..........she didn't sleep a wink last night and kept us up until 2:30. Well 2:30 is the last time I looked at the clock. She just didn't want to go to sleep. I don't think she ever fell asleep! We tried everything. We moved her from her large crate to her soft-sided carrier, then back to the crate, then back to the carrier. All she wanted to do was chew on her bandages, which is a big no-no, and try to claw her way out of the crate. We put the collar on her...... she either maneuvered her way out of it or got it stuck in her mouth. We tried bitter apple again, and no luck.



Perhaps it had a little to do with the fact that I gave her the high-energy supplement, Nutri-Cal and splenda-spiked pain meds before bed. She hates the taste of her medication, so the vet suggested I add a little sweet n low or splenda to improve the taste......just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down! I think after that, Maggie was "wired for sound!" She was a bit of a psycho kitty. I will know better next time. Maybe it was because if Maggie ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Or maybe because our upstairs A/C went out yesterday and it was a tad warm last night. Whatever it was we didn't sleep and we are paying for it today.

"Normal"

Dr. W said that Maggie's legs were twisted, the left worse than the right. He had to deepen the groove that the patella rides in, move and pin the tibial crest in place, and not only use absorbing sutures, but polyester like non-absorbing sutures to keep the patella in place. Maggie's tibial crest (the bony prominence unto which the patella tendon attaches below the knee) was way out of position, so it was cut, transposed and pinned into the correct position. The pins will not need to come out. He also told me something very comforting.......we did nothing to cause the first repair to fail. I have beat myself up over that since last week when we found out it had fell out of correct position. I kept thinking..... was it when I tried to put Maggie in the crate and she freaked out and ran off??? Did I let her out of the crate too much??? I had so much guilt, nice to know it was not our fault. It happened and now it is corrected. Any way you look at it, Maggie was going to need a second surgery anyway, since her right knee ("good" knee) began luxating shortly after the first surgery.


"Patellar Luxation"


"After Surgery"

She will be joining me at work until the sutures come out in about 12-14 days. Don't want to take any chances and have her remove them like last time. Her bandage removal appointment is on Friday. Dr. W wants us to keep her crate confined at least until the sutures are removed. Dr. W is a wonderful veterinarian........now if he could only repair air conditioners!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog today when I too was researching patellar subluxation in cats. My four month old rescue kitty Henry was just diagnosed today
    after starting to limp this weekend. I agree there isn't much out there at all regarding this problem in cats.
    It comforted me to know someone else has been through this. I wish your precious kitty an uneventful recovery. We are going to be conservative with Henry's treatment and see if he improves.
    Thank you and God bless the work you do with your feral kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! You have had a month! Glad to know Maggie is recovering! No AC? Another Oh my goodness! Hopefully it won't be too humid the next few days!
    Oh, and Thanks for the comment...I think the baby looks exactly like Jackson already!lol Even has the same actions:) Has the exact same profile as Jordan and Jackson but, has my little ears and long fingers!lol Im sure them dark/deep set "Hadder Eyes" will be dominant:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! =^..^=