Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Long Overdue Maggie May Update

So, the other day I was thinking…. You know how certain cat breeds are more prone to specific health problems than non-purebred cats? Like for instance, luxating patellas are said to be more common in Bengals. I have been keeping this blog since we first discovered Maggie May’s luxating patella back in 2008. Since then, I have only heard from one Bengal cat mom whose kitty has this condition. However, I have probably heard from 10 or more cat moms whose cats are of no specific breed and have this condition. Anyway, I just thought that was interesting.
I haven’t done an update on Maggie May in a while and now is as good a time as any. I couldn’t be happier with how great Maggie May has come along since her last surgery in 2008. If not for going through the experience, I would never know that she ever had a health problem, much less went through three knee surgeries. She has no residual effects from the knee cap problem or the surgeries to correct it. No limping, no pain, nothing! She plays like any spunky cat does; darting all over the room chasing toys. She loves to chase the toy around, then pick it up, carry it around all while mewing. Of course, her favorite time to do this is after “lights out.” She is the cutest little thing. Well, not so little anymore. I bet she is close to ten pounds now. We have been told by the vet that the lighter she is, the better it is for her knee joints. So I have been making an effort to cut her back a little on the food.

11 comments:

  1. We are glad you are doing well over all Maggie May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that Maggie May is doing well.

    Truffle and Brulee

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes us so happy to read that she is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for Maggie May. It's great when they come through their problems and are completely normal. Do I hear the dreaded D-word coming up? Herman isn't too fond of his.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetheart! This is so good to read (but I am surprised to hear you are bigger than me - maybe I better start eating more!). It is so wonderful that your naughty kneecap is better. The luxating patella is not good - it is a horrible thing to happen as we know. But is can get fixed and mine is better and so is Aila-sisko's (and she is pretty darn heavy too!). Äiti thinks sometimes she sees a little limp when I run, and I do not tear around as fast as I could, but she thinks that is also because I do not eat as much as I should.
    We also think luxating patellas pick on anycat, and are not sure about this breed specific stuff. Maybe it just affects the best cats!
    Here's to many more years of toy chasing and night time fun missions, my Queen.
    Love to you and your family who take care of you so well, noserubs and twisted tails, Punapippuri xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad you posted about Maggie May!
    We are very happy she is doing so well.
    purrs
    >^,,^<
    ♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the update! We are SO happy that Maggie May is doing so extraordinarily well. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello little Maggie May. We think that 10lbs is a fine weight! I think you deserve treats for staying so nice a slim!

    We also want to thank you for your purrs. We're pretty sure it helped the swelling go down in Squashies' ear. We are positive it helped mommy feel less scared to have so many wonderful kitties about her.

    Thank you again!
    Love, TK

    ReplyDelete
  9. i's a bengal and even wif all teh abuse i suffered i neber ended up wif a luxating patella. i does not realleh fink it matters about breed. some kittehs is just prone, breed or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww ever so beautiful Maggie May! You have fought against the odds and are winning! You are such an inspiration!! Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! =^..^=